Mazda’s breakthrough Skyactiv Technology is an innovative automotive engineering strategy that is designed to create a unique sense of oneness on the road. Based on an ancient Japanese principle called Jinba Ittai, or horse and rider as one, Skyactiv Technology creates a natural, intuitive relationship between vehicle and driver. With each Skyactiv component working seamlessly together, you’ll also enjoy superior fuel economy, enhanced safety and lower emissions. To create a drive you’ll anticipate day after day.
Click below to view more information
Outstanding horsepower and torque are harnessed to achieve superb fuel economy, agile handling and refreshing performance of the highest quality.
• An Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) lowers combustion temperature and improves fuel economy.
• 10.5:1 compression ratio – one of the highest for an inline 4-cylinder, turbocharged engine
The Skyactiv-G 2.0 L and 2.5 L engines improve everyday driving by producing more low/mid-range torque, yet has lower fuel consumption and emissions than our previous gasoline engines, resulting in 15 percent increases in fuel efficiency and torque. Cylinder Deactivation is available in 2.5 L engines on select models.
• A high 13.0:1 compression ratio improves fuel efficiency and torque thanks to the high compression combustion
• A high-pressure 6-hole direct fuel injector improves combustion efficiency
With the world’s lowest diesel-engine compression ratio, the Skyactiv-D 2.2 turbo diesel engine was developed to comply with strict emission regulations. To reduce emissions, the engine adopts a urea Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) exhaust scrubbing system paired with a NOx Storage Catalyst (NSC) that converts nitrous oxides (NOx) back into harmless nitrogen. Crafted with high-efficiency sequential dual turbochargers, Skyactiv-D ensures a smooth, direct response as well as superb acceleration.
• 20 percent better fuel efficiency than conventional diesel engines thanks to the low compression ratio of 14.0:1
• Two-stage turbocharging realizes smooth and linear response from low to high engine speeds, and greatly increases low- and high-end torque.
• Complies with global emissions regulations without expensive NOx aftertreatment
Transmissions are a touchstone for drivers that give them immediate control of their vehicle. Skyactiv transmissions are tailor-made to work in harmony with Skyactiv engines and are designed specifically to deliver superb responsiveness characteristic of the feeling of Jinba Ittai. Skyactiv transmissions are also specifically designed to enhance fuel economy.
Click below to view more information
Inspired by the legendary MX-5, the 6-speed Skyactiv-MT manual transmission is smaller, lighter and stronger than any we’ve built before – promoting better fuel economy.Features include:
• A short shift throw achieves an incredibly light, crisp feel, just like a sports car
• By pursuing the ideal structure of manual transmissions, 16% weight reduction was achieved, resulting in improved fuel economy
Our high-performance automatic transmission combines the direct feel of a manual transmission with the silky smoothness of an automatic. You get sharper, more responsive acceleration and sporty performance.Features include:
• Combines all the advantages of conventional automatic transmissions, continuously variable transmissions, and dual clutch transmissions
• A dramatically widened lock-up range improves torque transfer efficiency and realizes a direct driving feel that is equivalent to a manual transmission
As a part of Skyactiv Vehicle Dynamics, G-Vectoring Control (GVC) focuses on how g-forces affect driver and passengers to enhance the feeling of Jinba Ittai. Mazda studies the biomechanical relationship between human and vehicle in order to fine-tune the engineering systems and maximize a smooth interaction between them. Whether cornering or driving in a straight line, fewer steering wheel corrections are needed and fewer g-forces affect driver and passengers. The vehicle behaves more in line with driver expectation, increasing driver confidence and reducing fatigue typically caused by g-forces.
In keeping with our Jinba Ittai philosophy, we engineered our Skyactiv-Body and -Chassis to work seamlessly together.
Starting with a dramatic weight reduction over our previous models and using ultra-high-tensile steel in critical areas, we created a vehicle platform that enhances the responsiveness of Skyactiv engines and transmission, while helping to enhance safe, joyful driving.
Through smarter engineering and materials, we focused on body rigidity (for better handling), lightness, excellent crash safety performance and fuel economy. For the basic framework, we adopted the concepts of “straightening,” and a “continuous framework” in which each section functions in a coordinated manner with the other sections of the framework.
• High rigidity and lightness (8 percent lighter, 30 percent more rigid)
• Crash safety performance that meets the top criteria for crash safety assessments worldwide
Designed to deliver the responsive thrill that Mazda vehicles are known for, the Skyactiv-Chassis steering and suspension systems achieve two seemingly contradictory goals – nimble at low speeds, yet stable at high speeds. And stability and responsiveness are both key components of how a vehicle performs when safety matters.
• Suspension and steering functions achieve the “driving pleasure of oneness between car and driver”
• Driving quality has been raised to new levels through improvements to comfort and security